Personal Counseling in Houston
Marilyn J. Ladin, LCSW Psychotherapist/ Board Certified Diplomate
Becky Reiter, LPC, Eddins Counseling Group
Stacy Kipp, Last Wishes Human-Animal Bond Advocate/Mental Health Provider
Last Wishes Pet Loss Support Group
Last Wishes hosts a grief support group generally every other Wednesday at our comfort center from 6:30-8pm. This group is moderated by grief counselor Marilyn J. Ladin, who uses a variety of methods of support and learning for participants. Group meetings can be a very beneficial way to process grief. Please call us to RSVP for the next meeting or for more information at 713-452-0474. You may also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our center is located at 3036 Antoine Dr., Houston, TX 77092.
Last Wishes Online Pet Loss Support Group
Or you can search for “Last Wishes Pet Loss Support Group” in the Facebook search bar, ask to “Join” the group (private group, requires approval by administration). This small group is comprised of pet owners who have just experienced a loss, anticipating a loss and those willing to share their experiences of loss. Peer support can help normalize feelings of loss, guilt, and grief within a supportive structure. Posts are moderated by Last Wishes and our grief counselor, Marilyn Ladin. Many families use this space to share stories of love and companionship they share or shared with their beloved pets.
Other Recommended Social Media Outlets for Pet Loss Support
Helpful Online Resources
Pet Loss Hotlines
ASPCA National Pet Loss Hotline – 877-GRIEF-10 (1-877-474-3310)
The ASPCA’s psychologist and grief counselor, Dr. Stephanie LaFarge, PhD. is available 12 pm-12 am EST. www.aspca.org.
SPCA of Texas, Dallas – 214-461-5131
All calls are returned within 24 hours.
Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine – 607-253-3932 6pm – 9pm, EST, Tues-Thurs.
Argus Institute at CSU Veterinary Medical Center – 970-297-1242. 9am – 5 pm MST
Books in Print*
- The Goodbye Book – Todd Parr (Ages 2-5)
- When a Pet Dies – Fred Rogers (Ages 4-8)
- Dog Heaven – Cynthia Rylant (Ages 4-7)
- Cat Heaven – Cynthia Rylant (Ages 4-7)
- The Rainbow Bridge: A Visit to Pet Paradise – Adrian Raeside (Ages 8-12)
- Remembering My Pet: A Kid’s Own Spiritual Remembering Workbook for When a Pet Dies – Nechama Liss-Levinson (Ages 8-12)
- Maddie’s Wings: A Lesson in Love – Tamera Rickman (Ages 8-12)
- Grieving The Death of a Pet – Betty Carmack
- Sorrow on the Loss of Your Pet – M. Anderson
- Pet Loss and Human Bereavement – W. Kay
- Pet Parents: A Journey Through Unconditional Love And Grief – Coleen Ellis
For Parents of Grieving Children
- Talking About Death – A Dialogue Between Parent and Child – E. Grollman
- When Children Grieve – J.W. James
- Healing the Bereaved Child – A. Wolfelt, PhD
*All can be found on Amazon
*Expanded list of literature on pet loss and bereavement: http://www.argusinstitute.colostate.edu